Resource Page Description
While Silverlight 4 supports accessing COM
automation components from elevated trust OOB applications, many Windows
platform features are currently not available through COM automation. This makes
them inaccessible to such Silverlight OOB apps. Native Extensions for Microsoft
Silverlight(NESL) is an effort to incrementally build a library of components
that expose select Windows 7 features through COM automation, making them easily
available to Silverlight 4 OOB applications running with elevated trust. The
current version of NESL provides access to Windows 7 features like Sensors,
Portable Devices, Speech, Taskbar and more. NESL is made up of a set of COM
automation based runtime libraries, Silverlight wrapper libraries usable from
Silverlight 4 OOB applications, sample applications with source, API
documentation, and a developer’s guide.
What APIs are covered in NESL v1 ?
- Integrate sensors in you Silverlight app – Accelerometers, Light sensors,
compasses, gyroscopes etc.
- Text to Speech (Speech Synthesis)
- Speech to Text (Speech Recognition)
Portable Devices API
- Enumerate and access content from connected portable devices (cameras,
phones, music players, scanners etc.)
- Jump lists, overlay icons, overlay progress display, Thumbnail toolbars etc.
Local Encoding and Window Capture
- Encode webcam capture into mp4 (H.264/AAC-LC) media
- Capture user interface interaction as video
- Intercept and act on Window messages sent to the Silverlight OOB host window